SF Opera House, 4 April 2006
To commemorate the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake, Ballet Mori engaged
the Earth as a living medium and a conductor for dance. In this
improvisational performance, SF Ballet Principal Dancer Muriel Maffre
responded to a musical composition modulated live by the unpredictable
fluctuations of the Earth's movement as measured in real time by a UC
Berkeley seismometer at the Hayward Fault.
21st Annual Izzie (Isadora Duncan) Award
for Best Music/Score/Text
Video Clip of Performance (3:00 mins):
- Concept Director: Ken Goldberg
- Dancer: Muriel Maffre
- Composer: Randall Packer
- Choreographer: Yuri Possokhov
- Scenic and Costume Designer: Benjamin Pierce
- Sound and Special Effects Lighting: Gregory T. Kuhn
- Network Designer: Vijay Vasudevan
- Costume Construction: Christine Darch
- Light Supervisor: Kevin Caunnaughton
- SF Ballet Artistic Director: Helgi Tomasson
- San Francisco Ballet
- UC Berkeley Automation Lab
- UC Berkeley Seismological Laboratory
- Words on Dance (Fiscal Sponsor)
- We are grateful for support from Randi and Bob Fisher, Doug and
Barbara Engmann, and Dugan Moore, and additional support from: John
and Jola Anderson, Nion MacEvoy, Steven and Niko Mayer, Dr. Jerome
Oremland, Steven and Diana Strandberg, Voltage Security, Inc. Joe and
Carole Neil, John Pierce, Andrew and Francoise Skurman, Dr. Roy and
Helga Curry, Jim and Eilyne Killoran, Daniel and Lois Shapiro.
Reviews and Related Links:
- High Resolution Image.
Mori live web display and sound samples.
San Francisco Ballet to Use Seismic Sounds.
Associated Press, 30 March 2006. (picked up by over 40 publications worldwide).
- NPR Radio Interview by Phyllis Owens, NPR Weekend America, 15 April 2006.
- 1906 Earthquake Centennial Inspires Ballet
Performed to Live Seismic Data.
by Yasmin Anwar, UC Berkeley, 30 March 2006.
Shaking up the Ballet.
by Jonathon Keats, Wired Magazine, April 2006.
- Ballet Mori Review.
Allan Ulrich, Voice of Dance, April 5, 2006.
Ballet Mori Review. Anna Orrghen. Rhizome, 18 April 2006.
Ballet Conducted by the Earth. David Pescovitz, Boing Boing, 18 April 2006.
- Radio Interview by Sarah Varney.
NPR California Report (KQED Radio Bay Area). 4 April, 2006.
- Ballet Mori Review.
Rachel Howard, San Francisco Chronicle, April 6, 2006.
- Ballet Mori Fundraiser
Leah Garchik, San Francisco Chronicle, March 15, 2006.
San Francisco Ballet Press Release
- UC Berkeley 1906 Earthquake Centennial Committee
Northern California 1906 Earthquake Centennial Alliance
Seismogram of 1906 Earthquake
Live Seismic Platform installation by D. V. Rogers
Professor of IEOR and EECS, UC Berkeley
4189 Etcheverry Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720