T-ASE Paper Handling Guidelines for EiC, Editors, and Associate Editors
Steps in T-ASE Reviewing Cycle:
1. Editorial Assistant (EA) ensures that submitted paper is in correct IEEE format and appropriate length and not in violation of IEEE policies against plagiarism.
2. EiC evaluates paper to determine if it is within the scope of T-ASE. If so, otherwise assigns to an Editor. (3-5 days).
Please note: The scope of T-ASE is complex and depends on many factors. If a paper is assigned for handling it should be considered within the scope of T-ASE. Of course if an Editor or AE feels otherwise, he or she should advise the EiC immediately with detailed justification.
Please note: Because of the broad scope of T-ASE, it is not unusual for T-ASE Editors and AEs to handle papers outside their areas of expertise.
3. (week 2) Upon receipt, Editor assigns paper to an AE.
4. (week 3) AEs selects and sends requests to 4-5 to reviewers, asking for reviews to be returned within 30 days.
Note: AEs should AVOID requesting reviews from other T-ASE AEs.
Note: All T-ASE Editors and AEs can get access to the Papercept Robotics and Automation Society (RAS) Reviewer Database to find reviewers:
AEs should continue rounds of invitations until 3 or more reviewers accept the assignment. (Until then, MC will show the paper as being overdue for the "Assign Reviewers" task.)
In rare cases if several rounds of invitations to review are all declined, please notify the Editor with details about how many reviewers were invited/declined.
5. (before week 8): AE submits recommendation with details summarizing the reviews and reasons for the decision.
Note: AEs should always rescind brief or superficial reviews with urgent request to reviewer for prompt and proper reviews that meet T-ASE reviewing guidelines (see above).
If AE can only obtain 2 reviews because additional reviewers were very late and/or unresponsive, and both reviews are substantive and consistent, then two reviews are sufficient if the AE adds substantive comments justifying the decision.
6. (within 90 days) Editor makes decision and includes in decision letter substantive comments justifying and clarifying the decision.
Note: if AE or reviewer comments are insufficient, the Editor should rescind the AE report as soon as possible and ask for it to be improved.